FDOT | Henry E Kinney Tunnel Improvements and Pedestrian Plaza Project
Project Update: SE 6th Avenue at Las Olas Boulevard & SE 2nd St to Undergo a Full Closure Beginning Tuesday, September 7th
Construction Cost: $28.4 Million Construction Start: September 7, 2021 Estimated Completion: Late 2023
As part of the Henry E. Kinney tunnel improvements project, northbound and southbound SE 6th Avenue, from Las Olas Blvd to SE 2nd Street, will be completely closed to traffic beginning 7 a.m., Tuesday, Sept. 7 through 7 a.m., Monday, Nov. 8 for wall demolition activities and end bent construction operations. Motorists traveling westbound or eastbound on Las Olas Boulevard wishing to access Federal Highway (US-1) via SE 6th Avenue will be detoured to SE 8th Avenue. Motorists traveling southbound on Federal Highway (US-1) wishing to access Las Olas Boulevard via SE 6th Avenue will be detoured to SE 5th Avenue. Signage will be in place to direct motorists.
This project will rehabilitate the structural, mechanical, electrical, architectural, and life safety components of the Henry E. Kinney Tunnel; mill and resurface SR 5/ US-1 from Rio Vista Boulevard to south of the Tunnel; install Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) along SR 5/ US-1; extend the tunnel top to accommodate a pedestrian plaza which will include new fountains, seating facilities, re-designed brick pavers, artificial turf and landscape installation, and reconstruct the intersection of Las Olas Boulevard at SE 6th Avenue.
• Rehabilitating the structural, mechanical, electrical, architectural, and life safety components of the Henry E. Kinney Tunnel
• Milling and resurfacing US-1 from Rio Vista Boulevard to south of the Tunnel
• Extending the tunnel to accommodate a pedestrian plaza which will include new fountains, seating facilities, re-designed brick pavers, artificial turf and landscape installation
• Reconstructing the intersection of Las Olas Boulevard at SE 6th Avenue
• Traffic along the Tunnel will be shifted to one tunnel portal and one lane in each direction will be maintained throughout this configuration
• Lane closures and full closures of the Henry E. Kinney Tunnel are permitted and detours of US-1 traffic will be implemented as needed
• Lane closures and full closures along Las Olas Boulevard are permitted and detours will be implemented as needed
• Pedestrian safety will be maintained throughout the work zone and business access will be maintained at all times
*Advanced notice and detour information of all full closures will be provided prior to any closure well in advance.
FDOT MISSION STATEMENT
The Florida Department of Transportation will provide a safe transportation system that ensures the mobility of people and goods, enhances economic prosperity and preserves the quality of our environment and communities.